Were you given a ‘nickname’ in
school? I was not called anything other
than my name but sometimes wish I had one.
Some nicknames represent
character traits or some aspects of the individual’s character. Unfortunately, some of these names were used
by bullies to taunt and ridicule individuals.
Some have worked very hard to
live up to or shun the names they were given. For example, consider a name like
Jabez, so named because his mother bore him in pain. Jabez, however, did not
live up to his name and caused more pain; instead, he prayed for a blessing and
the Lord grant him what he requested. We
can think of Jabez has someone who did not live up to the status quo. He broke
the mould of what was expected of someone with a name that is a constant
reminder of pain.
How about you? What is your name?
Who do want to be seen as, have you defined yourself based on who God say you
are or have you accepted an identity
imposed by others. Some people live their
whole lives trying to consciously or unconsciously build an identity around the
mould that others have made for them. Never
taking the time to ask, ‘who am I?’ God has placed inestimable value on you, He
sent Jesus to die for you, that’s how much He values you. You are free from the chains of an identity
imposed.
Jesus in conversation with His
disciples asked in Mark 8:27 ‘Who do men say I am?’ After they had shared what people were saying
about Him, He asked ‘Who do you say I am?’ Interested to know what those closest to him
thought of him. I guess that is one of
those timeless questions. People
everywhere are interested in what others think about them. However, as important as this is, I believe
the more pressing question is ‘who do you think you are?’ What do you believe about you? In the middle
of the night when the television is off, the noise has stopped and you are
faced with you, what do you think about you?
Can you look in the mirror and
hold your gaze happy with the reflection? What goes through your mind as you
look into your eyes? ‘Who do men say I am?’ Is that the question that haunts you? Psalms 139: 13-14 has some answers to this question. ‘For you formed my inward parts; you
knitted me together in my mother's womb.
(14) I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful
are your works; my soul knows it very well.’
This is the true reflection of who you are. I hope one day we can get to the place where
men’s opinions of us do not matter so much, where their prophecies of us do not
fulfil because we would have refused to walk the path they think we should trod
because of the circumstances of our birth, our citizenship, race or our class.
Very inspirational and it creates a time of self reflection. Very well done
ReplyDelete